Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lots to Write!


So, since my last post accidently got deleted, I have been putting off coming to blog, because I figured I would have to re-blog everything, in less detail...  Anyway, I guess I will have to start somewhere, haha, so I will keep working on this long blog little by little.
Last week, again- The toga party hosted by Weerona College was held on Sunday night, and was a lot of fun. A lot of students here are first years, and went out and bought patterned fabric for their togas.  Americans did that too. I received a pack of sheets when I arrived (but didn't like them and went out and bought some different ones) so I just used those. An "After Dark" party bus came and picked us all up, and it was really awesome!  I wish we had these at home- it was kind of like a school bus, but it had lights inside and blasted loud party music.  I quickly learned at the bar that alcohol is REALLY expensive.  The day before we visited a liquor store, and a fifth of Smirnoff vodka is $37, more than the cost of a whole handle in the states. The uni, or university, students all drink cheap, gross boxed wine, like our franzia.  It is fairly cheap ($8-15 for 4 liters) and definitely does a good job as a 'pre-drink.'  A good price for a mixed drink or a basic shot at a bar is $5, and on pint night equivalent a pint of beer costs $3.  I spent some money at the bar, but am vowing after the fact not to do it again while I am here, because there are so many other things I would like to do with my money, like travel!
Anyway, on Monday I laid around for most of the day, and then a new friend Emma and I went to explore International House, or I-House, another dorm in town.  My mom had been bugging me to try the food at I-house, and to meet some people there, and Emma had a friend staying there, so we set out.  We were told it was just a short walk away, but we kept walking, and walking, and walking... I think we got lost, actually, but the walk would have been a lot anyway.  One thing that is different here from home is the distance of a walk or stroll.  A walk across Wofford's campus is irritating to most Wofford students, but here that is nothing.  Most short walks in Australia would be considered 'treks' by South Carolina standards, and it helps me realize how much we rely on our cars at home!!  The food over at I-house was pretty much the same as at Weerona, and the student makeup was not as international as the name sounded. 
On the walk, I took a picture of this pretty flower!
On Tuesday we had UOW Study Abroad student orientation.  This kick off event to O-week was pretty typical- we sat through how-to lectures, were instructed on enrollment, and were given advice about where and how to travel.  There were also quite a few boths and things set up all around the lawns, with free pens and cups and music and everything else.  One thing I really like about UOW's campus is that it has everything on it- a dentist, hair salon, 2 banks, a bar, and an STA travel agency.
During the O-week lecture, a biology professor did a presentation on Australian animals.  He was as quirky and entertaining as every bio professor I have ever had, and really fun to listen to about Australian wildlife.
I took a photo with transit man during the O-week festival!
On Wednesday my friends all went to the beach, and I headed into town to get my hair done.  I made an appointment at Total Bliss, a place I found in a student book we were given that looked nice.  It was a wonderful experience.  I arrived around 12:30 and was immediately put into a chair and offered an expresso.  I got a FULL head of foils to take me to blonde, and it took a while to get them all in.  She took them off all at different times around my head, and put me under this awesome heater that circulated around my head instead of sat on it like a hat.  She also put a toner on at the end and then a conditioning treatment.  I am SOO happy to be blonde again...  It really does make a difference, and I really think that once you have been blonde you don't want to be any other color.  I left the salon around 4:30pm, with $190 less than I had when I went in, but I am so happy.  It really was total bliss.  Wednesday I also did a little piddling around town...

We shop for groceries at Woolworths!  Yummy

On Thursday we decided to take a day trip up to Sydney via train. We arrived at the train station pretty early in the morning.  Round trip tickets up to Sydney are $10.80, and it takes about 
1 and a half -2 hours to get into central Sydney. The train runs along some pretty scenery, so I snapped some photos!









When we got to Sydney we immediatley jumped on the train to Circular Quay that would take us to the harbor.  When we arrived at the harbor there were a lot of options of ferries we could jump on that went to the zoo, the aquarium, Manly Beach, and to Darling Harbor.  We decided we would attempt to walk to Darling Harbor, little did we know....

Our first view of the harbor! There is a cruise shipped docked and the Sydney bridge is also pictured. 


feeding the birds! Australia is just like finding nemo- the seagulls in Sydney are more aggressive than any other I have ever seen!


Schoolchildren all wear uniforms with matching hats because the sun is SO hot. 






A wharf on the harbor. 


jellyfish everywhere!

the maritime museum in Darling harbor.
We ended up walking around the periphery of the harbor, which is a lot farther than we realized, and eventually got to Darling Harbor. We went thru basically everywhere on our walk, including the business area of Sydney.  There is so much to do and see around Sydney Harbor, and especially in Darling Harbor.  It was a bit of a tourist-y trap, with Wildlife places and the Sydney Aquarium and different boats that can take visitors out into the harbor.
In the food court of the aquarium this awesome lego statue sits in the center of the room. 
After walking around Darling Harbor we headed to Paddy's Market, a world famous market in the heart of Sydney's Chinatown.  I was seriously hoping to find some awesome replica handbags and other cool stuff asians frequently sell, but only found Australian souvenirs and generalized junk.  The market was definitely worth our visit though, and I bought some things to take home.  I bought authentic hand-painted aboriginal handicrafts, like a boomerang and kangaroo figure.  I spent a little more than I maybe should have, but I feel ok about it because all the money goes back into the aboriginal community the craft came from.  I also bought some tea towels, but I'm not sure what the difference in tea towels and dish cloths are?...
Anyway, after all the walking we did all day in Sydney we were seriously worn out, and I slept on the train ride home... Overall, it was an awesome day.  Pictures do not do Sydney Harbor justice, it is a beautiful place!
Decided to take a dip into the fountain...

CHINATOWN!



Sydney Central Station

I just had to snap a photo of these at the market- you can buy Kangaroo scrotum souvenirs... uck.

2 comments:

  1. hi sweetie - that cruise boat at sydney looked inviting - why don't you all look into a cruise as opposed to that new zealand trip. with the devastating earthquake this week - at christchurch - i really don't think going to christchurch is now a good idea. anyway - you might be able to see new zealand from port cities.
    we were waiting to skype with you - but see you are gone away now. i guess you really did need an iphone, huh?
    glad you're seeing & doing so much.
    love you, momma & daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps - tea towels are for humans; dish clothes are for dishes ;D

    ReplyDelete