Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Friends

     I ended up sleeping all the way thru last night, and waking up this morning around 5am.  I couldn't sleep, so I went to the computer lab and got on Facebook, because I knew everyone from home would be up and might be on.  I didn't spend too much time up, and eventually went back to sleep pretty early, and slept until breakfast was almost over in the cafeteria. I hurried downstairs in my nightgown, grabbed breakfast and sat down with three girls I did not know.  I was lucky to find out that they were Americans who had just gotten here too!  They are from U. Scranton and they are all transitioning just like me!
     After breakfast, we decided to go to the beach.  North Beach is within walking distance of Weerona College, so we headed in the direction.  First we hit the harbour, which is quite small actually, but very cute.  Atleast 20 boats are moored inside and a pretty lighthouse sits guarding the entrance.  Next to the rocky harbour is an awesome walkway and a pool that juts out into the rocky seacoast.  We took some great pictures that I will definately add soon!  The beach was a bit overcast, and we didn't think we were getting much sun. My mom has warned me, though, about the Australian sun, so I was sure to wear sunscreen.  She told me that Australia has one of the highest rates of melanoma because the ozone layer here is thinner than normal.  She was right- hours later it turns out that I am in fact burned on my shoulders and chest a little, places I didn't think to load up on the strong sunscreen.

1 comment: