Monday, February 14, 2011

My first post!


Thanks for coming to read my blog! So- here it is. My first entry to my first blog.  I’m sorry if it’s a bit rough… I don’t have a whole lot of experience writing journals or writing for other people, but I will do my best to describe my days and experiences in an interesting and “worth-reading” kind of way. I am writing this blog this semester for my family and friends who are wondering what I’m doing over in Aussie- it is going to be hard to coordinate skype or phone call times because Australia is 16 hours ahead!  I am so excited to be traveling to the east again, as last year I had the chance to visit China. That trip was amazing- I’m hoping this semester will compare!
            Just for an update on what I’ve been doing lately to plan, and how I have packed, I will completely tell all here, because I have 2 long layovers… I’m thinking this post will probably be one of the longer ones : ).    It’s been a whirlwind to the point I am now (sitting in Dulles International Airport, waiting on flight 2 of 3 to SYD), and in a nutshell…
            During the month of January Wofford gave biology students the chance to shadow doctors and medical professionals for the month- I was so lucky to get to participate, and had some amazing experiences.  I got to see a lot of surgery, including a robotic hysterectomy, a colostomy, and open heart surgery. I also got to observe a traditional birth and a c-section of twin girls! My favorite part of working with the doctors, though, was rotating with them around the rooms- each patient had a different problem, and even though each was similar, every patient was unique. Doctors definitely have a hard job, and work REALLY long hours, and have to be really dedicated- I was so impressed, and didn’t know how much time they put into each patient. I also learned how subjective medicine is, and that it really is an art- two surgeons or doctors could easily have differing opinions about the same patient or diagnosis. 
The clinical experience ended on February 2 with group presentations on something interesting, and on February 3 my mom planned for me to fly to Costa Rica with my Yiaya to have some dental work done. We weren’t exactly sure what I needed, so my mom booked my original flight until Feb 12. While we were there the weather was beautiful- it was summer, and the kids were out of school.  I layed out one day, but many of the days were cloudy.  San Jose is a cool city- it is surrounded by huge luscious looking mountains that are uninhabited and wild looking! We didn’t do much shopping there, as everything is more expensive because it is imported. Luckily, CostaRica90210 got me done sooner, and I got to come home early, but I was sad to have to say goodbye to my grandmother (she stayed with a friend)!  I will miss her very much while I’m in Australia, and am so grateful so was willing to take me.
Since I got home Wednesday night, I have been hurrying to pack, clean up my condo in NMB where I keep all my clothes and shoes and things, and spend time with loved ones!  On Thursday I got all my packing done, and feel pretty confident about what I have. Packing probably took me 4-6 hours, but I was also organizing my closet at the condo and unpacking things that were hastily packed up in my dorm at school, so I think I could have done it a little faster. My strategy was simple- take everything I think I’ll need, including an excess of toiletries (partly because I love shopping in drug stores), and then leave any excess toiletries there when I get ready to come back.  With this strategy, I will have room in my suitcase for whatever purchases I desire, because I will have left a certain amount of weight in AU(hopefully!!).  It was simple enough, but I had to be strategic, because believe it or not, toiletries are the heaviest parts of traveling!  I itemized a list of things I’m taking in my own shorthand, but I will reproduce a shortened version for this blog, just incase you’re wondering “How much does one person need for four and a half months on the other side of the world???” I asked myself the same question, and this is what I came up with…
Blue Duffel Bag-
3 Bathing Suits
Razors, new toothpaste, xtra toothbrushes, contarcts, 2 pairs of glasses, 2 shampoos, 2 conditioners, 3 bars of soap, body wash
2 towels with hand towels and washcloths
7 dresses
5-6 pairs of jeans
7 various fleeces, jackets, and pullovers of different weights
a full first aid kit, with some of every medicine I’ve used in the last year
some costume jewelry
Pink hard suitcase-
            6 pairs shorts- normal and workout
            4 button downs/oxfords
            5 bras
            17-20 pair of underwear
            10 pair new socks, 1 pair wool socks
            8 tank tops
            11 short sleeve tops
            7 long sleeve tops
            6 short sleeve ts, 2 long sleeve
            SHOES!- 4 pairs flats, 3 pairs flip flops/sandals, reetones, 2 pairs boots (brown& black)
BIG roller Carry on-
            Extra cute purse
            Bookbag
            Lightweight tote
            Pencil case with pencils and pens
            ALL my makeup and beauty essentials, including 3perfumes
            Cowboy boots (this item was disputed by my dad “you should take the basics, AU won’t be a fashion show, you’ve got others!”  “Daddy, I need these boots…” )
            Extra fleece and underwear
            Cap- for all that bright sun in AU!
            Bathing suit, just in case
This sounds like a lot, it really does, but it was the perfect amount to fill up two suitcases at 52lbs each, which is a lot less than you think! It was harder to decide which shoes to take than anything else, as it’s hard to anticipate what exactly I’ll need when I get there.   I didn’t want to show up down under unprepared, and so this is how I planned… Some of you may have noticed there is no hair dryer or straightener on the list. “How is she going to live without that?” you say.  The simple solution will be that I have to buy one there- because Australian plugs run on an entirely different, higher voltage than ours, I am planning to buy electronics upon arrival, instead of buying a converter that I may or may not be able to count on and paying almost as much. 
Anyway, all of this brings me to my finals days at home.  Because I was packed, I got the chance to spend time with my family that I wouldn’t have had if I had been more undecisive.  I got to go see my Papa, my mom’s dad, and his wife Irma; he needed help with the computer and his Ipad, and so I visited with him.  I also got to spend time with my Granddaddy at his house and at ours, as my parents cooked chicken bog and spaghetti for dinners that we enjoyed together!  My mom and dad took good care of my in the last couple of days- we even went to get Mexican food, because we figured there might not be many El Cerro/Coronas type places down under.  I also got to spend time with Manny, which was nice, because I am flying out on Valentines Day.  It was sad to say goodbye to him, but he just got a new iphone, so we will be able to skype all the time.
This morning my granddaddy, my momma and my daddy brought me to the airport.  After I got checked in (and had to remove just a couple things from my bags, along with some rearranging), they sat with me by the security check in for awhile, waiting until my boarding time got closer.  It was sad to kiss them all goodbye, but they were happy and excited to see me off, especially my dad.  He seems really excited about Australia, but sad to see me go for so long.   While I was going through the checkpoint, my granddaddy watched me the whole time, and then we waved goodbye.  It means a lot of me that he came and saw me off at the airport, too; I love him so much and will miss him while I’m gone!
It’s weird- a couple of weeks ago I got emotional really easily about going, because it is kind of scary, but now it just feels like a big adventure.  I’m excited about everything in store for me there, I want to make the most of every experience.  I am expecting some homesickness two weeks into my trip- while I was in China I still remember the feeling, the culture shock, hitting me.  It was overwhelming to look around and feel completely unfamiliar, completely out of place, completely alone.  Even though I had my sorority sisters and a group of Wofford students there with me, it was scary to be in a new place that was so different than anything I had known before.  I got over the feeling, and had an amazing time, but for an instant I wanted to get on skype and cry to my mom and my girlfriends (and I was never THAT girl at summer camp!!) about coming home. My happy place was a Pizza Hut in Shanghai- it was enough of a Chinese fusion with American food that it gave me the confidence to carry on, and push forward, and take it all in.  I learned that something scary can be wonderful, but you have to jump right in and experience it.
Anyway, back to the easy stuff- Washington-Dulles airport is really nice!  I just rode on the trains that transport around the terminals, and I think they might be new.  The terminal I am in now looks sort of deserted, and I am camped over by a power plug. Oh, look, I am not getting power… just noticed.  Well, that’s all for now.  I’ll update this post in when I arrive in LAX (and hopefully see lots of celebs J ).
…I just arrived at LAX and I haven’t spotted any celebs. Yet.  I am sitting at a table at a bar type place- I just had a Caesar salad and a Michelob Ultra, and now I have about 3 hours to sit and wait for my flight to Sydney.  This airport it pretty big, and people keep dashing each direction. Lucky for me, I am flying on United, so my gates are all right next to each other- I don’t have to go rushing around the airport looking for my place.  I called my family members when I got here- my mom said her and dad were upset after they dropped me off, and sad that they had to see me go, but excited too.  I’m happy to have their support!

No comments:

Post a Comment