Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mardi Gras- Sydney gets QUEER!

So sorry I haven't written in a week or so... I have so much to write about and so many pictures to show y'all!
Last Saturday we traveled to Sydney to attend the one of the biggest gay pride parades in the world, Mardi Gras in Sydney.  About seven of us took the train to Sydney Central and wandered over to China Town first to have a bite to eat. I must admit the food was a bit disappointing, but I did order everyone a chicken foot to taste (our Wofford group tasted them when we visited China!) and we all enjoyed trying something new, even if we don't want to have it again.  China town in Sydney is a bit touristy- while the restaurants look very authentic inside, the food is a bit high and not all totally delicious.  Maybe even a bit too authentic for us? (or maybe we just picked the wrong place to eat?)...  We also stopped at Paddy's Market and I bought a purple, feathery headband for my hair and a purple boa to wear around with everyone else who was all dressed up.

Anyway, after our visit to Chinatown we ventured over to Oxford Street and towards Hyde Park.  We immediately saw crowds and crowds of people all moving in one direction towards the parade route.  The annual attendance of this parade is around 100,000 or more, all in the streets.
Huge crowds in the streets!


beautiful costumes!
Half man, Half woman!
Old people in drag!

THE CROWDS WERE INSANE!

Before the parade started we walked to the bathroom, and on the way I bought a stepping stool to help me see!  It really made a difference, as a lot of people had bought stools or brought milk crates to stand on, and I am really short.  The parade did not begin until 7:45, and we arrived around 6:30 (it was unbelievable how many other people got there earlier!), so we had quite a bit of down time before it began.  Most people around us were drinking and partying, except for most of the Asians.  
One thing that I did not realize about Australia before I came is how diverse the population is- especially Sydney.  Going to China last year made me feel very comfortable around Asian people, and that is good because Sydney is mostly Asians.  Seriously.  This picture may not show it really well, but in and around the city most people are of Asian descent. Steve Irwin is no longer the typical Australian (based on what I have seen).

Eventually, the parade began.  I will come back later to update the rest- right now I have to run! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow - what an education you are getting there, my dear! Love you!

    ReplyDelete